Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL

The latest model of the popular 90mm macro lens, the TAMRON 90mm F/2.8 Di III MACRO VXD (Model F072), is a mid-telephoto 1:1 macro lens that combines exceptional imaging performance and the latest technology accumulated during TAMRON’s 90mm macro lens history.

Looks like they saved some weight and cost by skipping Vibration Compensation. Other highlights:
MOD = 0.23m
Aperture range f2.8-f16
Length 126.5mm / 5in
Weight 630g / 22.2oz
$699

Official announcement:

Looking forward to reviews from the usual suspects.

Last edited:
I am surprised at the lack of stabilisation. The older lens was epic though. Optically this will be great I'm sure.

I am surprised at the lack of stabilisation. The older lens was epic though. Optically this will be great I'm sure.
I agree with you. Look at the recently introduced 50-300 and 20-300, they came with stabilization (VC), so I thought they were making a push to keep it in all their new lenses. That doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the thought process is that any serious macro work is done with a tripod?

I agree with you. Look at the recently introduced 50-300 and 20-300, they came with stabilization (VC), so I thought they were making a push to keep it in all their new lenses. That doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe the thought process is that any serious macro work is done with a tripod?
Probably, but it isn't so much these days either. I certainly use stabilazation on the Sony, even when using a flash, and it does help, but aI always handhold. I can't be faffing around with a tripod in the wild.

I have the Tamron SP 1:2.5 90/f2.5 fully manual. Should I start a thread on DPReview asking if I should upgrade or not?

:devilish:

It's Chirstmas soon Chris! :) I much prefer to use my 70-200 F4 Macro than my FE 90mm F2.8 G these days, especially for anything flighty. I should probably dust it off and sell it.

It's Chirstmas soon Chris! :) I much prefer to use my 70-200 F4 Macro than my FE 90mm F2.8 G these days, especially for anything flighty. I should probably dust it off and sell it.
The 30mm macro I have is leaving me hungry for more magnification, I could probably settle for a 50mm or 60mm, but I think eventually I'd want a dedicated 90mm macro, so why not just add it to my Christmas shopping list from now? lol

Back