Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Ages ago I asked the same question, but it's worth a repeat, and it's a simple question.
Over the last few months activity here has almost died off completely, despite having lots of members. There is a complete jack of interaction with or interest in most of what is being posted. No compliments on photos, no photos being posted by most members, save for the competition which gets more traction because... Ooo I might win $25! People who just post there are really not what the forum is about (and are weirdos 😁)
Yes, people come here to ask questions, and get the answers, but then vanish, fair enough, but why not spend a bit of time interacting. Forums are great places to get to know people, and learn how others shoot. Knowledge is power, you might pick up some good tips. I know fur sure that some have, as there is a marked improvement in their images.
So come on, get a bit more involved, even if you are one of the weirdos.

For me, I haven't picked up a camera in a month. Partly due to weather, but mainly trying to recover from a partially flooded house.(Pro tip: Regularly check all hoses supplying dishwashers, washing machines, and mixer taps)

I’ve been driving for two days. 656km yesterday & 686km today. From Adelaide towards Sydney. I’m staying at a beach side town called Ulladulla tonight & tomorrow night. Only about 250km to where I’m staying in Sydney but I’ll be travelling the scenic route. I stopped a few times to take pics of some silo art just with my RX100. I plan to take a lot of photos in & around Sydney but whether I’ll be able to post many on here I’m not sure yet.

I believe I’m pretty active on here. I don’t have time to comment or reply to every topic.

To be honest, I’ve spent a lot of time in the last week or two editing video from my A7RV but there’s not really any interest here for video.

Last edited:
Fair enough if you are injured or not been out, I get that completely, I was in a similar position, but that doesn't stop interaction in terms of commenting or assisting others, does it? Not having a go, btw, just curious. The forum will die without interaction.

I guess I am by nature the type of person who keeps my mouth shut if I don't feel I have something worthwhile to contribute, so sometimes will just browse the forum and like a few posts that draw my attention without commenting. This is pretty much my behaviour on other forums to which I belong as well.

My work situation is also such that I sometimes have abundant time to spend on photography and at other times do not even pick my camera up for 2-3 months.

When traveling for photography, I also write a blog to keep family and friends updated, which takes a lot of my time. This would be easy enough to copy and paste to forum posts, together with a few photos from my trip, but I am not sure that there would be any interest in that kind of post.

I know I haven't been as active a participant in here as I could be..... I tend to jump in, look at some posts, occasionally post an image and then move on to one of the other forums to which I also belong (not all are photography-oriented). Overall, I spend more time online than I probably should!

As for the photo competitions, maybe they should be halted for a while, or else simply not have any financial incentive. Most other photography sites that I have seen may have weekly or monthly competitions for their members but there are no prizes, financial or otherwise, simply the honor of having one's image place first, second or third in a given contest. I, too, have noticed the preponderance of "new members" who pop in to submit an entry to the competition and then we never see them again. I agree, Kev, this is NOT the purpose of those competitions!

I thought you all might be tired of the "forum cheerleader" so I backed off a bit LOL

Currently in Sedona, Arizona and getting some great (in my mind) landscape photos to share with the forum.

Back